Wednesday 2 March 2011

I BELIEVE NOTHING


I BELIEVE NOTHING


I believe nothing – what need


Surrounded as I am with marvels of what is,


This familiar room, books, shabby carpet on the floor,


Autumn yellow jasmine, chrysanthemums, my mother’s flower,


Earth-scent of memories, daily miracles,


Yet media-people ask, “Is there a God?”


What does the word mean


To the fish in his ocean, birds


In his skies, and stars?


I only know that when I turn in sleep


Into the invisible, it seems


I am upheld by love, and what seems is


Inexplicable here and now of joy and sorrow,


This inexhaustible, untidy world -


I would not have it otherwise.



by Kathleen Raine

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time and trouble to leave a comment. Each and every comment is much appreciated.